Why your Competition Tan color matters!
How it can affect your Angel Competition Bikinis fabric color and your overall stage presence and what to do about it.
By Karah Jones
There are many variables that affect how your tan color looks
As scary as it sounds, you never know exactly what color your tan is going to be. The photo below shows IFBB Bikini Pro Jenn Caban. Jenn used the same company in the left and right photos, and a different company in the middle photo. She did not alter her skin prep at all between the shows. Keep reading to learn actionable steps to take to ensure you stand out on stage regardless the color your tan turns out. Thanks for your help Jenn, we are very fortunate to have you as an Angel Competition Bikinis sponsored athlete
Click the image above to order a replica of Jenn's Angel Competition Bikinis in Hologram Emerald, Hologram Dark Blue, or Hologram Eggplant.
Factors that can affect your tan color:
- The tan company used.
- The base color of your skin
- The amount of coats the tan company applies
- The tan prep you performed prior to your tan
- The stage lighting
"There are so many variables that can affect your tan color, take your skin prep serious, and don't forget a backup suit to make sure you contrast on stage!"
-Jenn Caban, IFBB Bikini Pro
This was my 4th Competition when I wore the Hologram Purple Galaxy.
My tan for this show came out with a red tint. The purple fabric did not work well with my skin color. I would have stood out more on stage if I had a backup suit in a fabric that contrasted from red like Hologram Dark Blue.
Click the image above to order a replica of my Galaxy Angel Competition Bikinis. This is my favorite competition suit to date! I love that it stood out in the bikini division with an elaborate design.
"I wish that I would have brought at least 1 back up suit color that contrasted from my first choice."
This was my 3rd Competition when I wore the Hologram White Angel Pro.
I really liked the shade of this tan, but live and learn: white is the HARDEST color to pull off on stage. Your tan needs to be very very dark for white to pop on stage. If you want to wear white on stage, you need to come prepared with a backup.
Click the image above to order a replica of my Hologram White Angel Competition Bikinis. I LOVED the white suit. I wanted to feel like an Angel on Stage and I did. I wish it would have stood out more under the lights, but this is a risk I was willing to take to wear white, just wish I would have had a backup!
This was my 2nd Competition when I wore the Hologram Eggplant Angel Pro with Crystal Clear Crystals
My tan for this show turned out too light. The combination of light colored crystals with my light tan caused me to get a little washed out on stage. I wish I would have had a backup suit that was a darker shade like Hologram Emerald with Emerald AB crystals.
This was the first suit Angel Competition Bikinis ever made so we don't have a replica of it. The closest thing to it is our Angel Pro on Hologram Eggplant which is linked in the image above.
Swipe to see Angel Competition Bikinis most popular fabric colors against different shades that your competition tan can be.
Action steps to avoid tanning mistakes and help you stand out on stage:
- Bring a backup suit. This is CRUCIAL if your tan shade blends in with your suit color like mine did in my Hologram Purple suit. Shop ACBikinis Ships Tomorrow Suits for a budgeted option for your backup.
- A backup suit is also important if another athlete has your same suit color, your suit color blends with the stage background, you want to wear a different suit to finals, or if the stage lighting is different than you expected.
- Research the tan company prior to your show to determine the color of their tan.
- Wash your skin with dish soap starting 7 days prior to your competition. Yes, dawn dish soap. This dries you skin out and makes the tan stick better and more even.
- If possible, avoid all lotions 5 days prior to your competition.
- Start exfoliating 8 days prior to your competition with Get Buffed or something similar. Use code, "ACBIKINIS" for 10% off.
- Use a pee guard like The Tinkle Tan Protector on your competition day.
Be warned that your skin can be anywhere from a light brown color, to a red color, or even the worst case scenario of a green color and all shades in between. If you follow the steps above and bring a backup Angel Competition Bikinis suit, there's no doubt you will feel CONFIDENT on stage.
About the Author
Owner and CEO of Angel Competition Bikinis
Karah Jones started Angel Competition Bikinis in 2013 with Lauren Beeves. Their company creates competition suits to make women feel confident on stage. Karah is an NPC Bikini Competitor and walks in the Angel Fashion Show every year.
Do you have a blog request or want to be a guest Angel Blogger?
Want to see our fabric and crystals in person?
Order a free Angel Design Package. Choose this fabric and crystals and up to 7 additional colors to view in person. 100% free, we pay shipping. No credit card required.Order Free Package